Master Records are things in the database like vendors, items, employees, g/l accounts, customers, and fixed assets. The following article explains how to use attributes to track additional data related to certain master files.
For information on importing attributes, see How to Import Attributes.
Attributes enable you to track additional data related to certain master files. Attributes are typically physical characteristics that you add to items– for example, color, model year, and so on. Users can quickly search on these attributes.
For a list of supported attributes, access the Attribute Setup list in Microsoft Dynamics NAV.
Viewing and Creating an Attributes
- Click Tell Me and search for Attribute Setup. Select the page from the drop-down list.
The Attribute Setup page displays a list of all attributes, organized by page.
- To view the defined attributes for a particular page, select the page and on the Action Bar click (More Options) > Actions > New Document > Attributes.
The Edit Attributes Page displays.
- To edit an existing attribute, click Edit on the Action Bar.
The Edit Attribute Page displays. Modify the attribute as needed.
- To add a new attribute, on the click New on the Action Bar.
The New Attribute Page displays.
- Provide values for the Name and Type fields. Valid types are: text, data, date, option integer, and decimal.
Note: You can hide item attributes that are no longer in use by adding a checkmark to the Blocked checkbox.
- If you are creating attributes of type Option, specify the possible values. Click Attribute Values on the Action Bar.
- Click New and in provide the attribute value text in the Value field. Repeat this step for every attribute value that you want to add.
- Click the Left Arrow to return to the New Attribute page.
In the following example, attributes are assigned to a particular item, but this example works for all master record types (vendors, items, bank accounts, employees, and so on).
- Open the page that you want to assign attributes to. For example, open the Items list. In the Search field, type Items and then select the Item list from the drop-down list.
- Select the item that you want to assign attributes to, and then from the Ribbon click Attributes.
The Attributes Values page displays.
- In the Attribute field, choose an attribute that you want to assign to this item from the drop-down list.
- In the Value field, choose an attribute value.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each attribute that you want to assign.
- Click OK.
Filtering on Attributes
You can filter a Page based on a particular Attribute value.
To filter based on attributes:
- Open the page that you want to filter. For example, the Items page.
- On the Action Bar, click the Show Filter Pane icon.
The Filter Pane displays.
- Under the Filter List By heading, click +Filter.
- Specify the attribute that you want to filter the page by and provide an attribute value in the field provided.
- Select an item matching the filter criteria in the drop-down list.
That item displays.